top of page
288 WEST 14 MILE
This photo shows what the brick bungalow located at 288 West Fourteen Mile, then known as Clawson Street, looked like shortly after its construction in 1923. Many of the original elements still exist today, a century later.
Jacob Edwards emigrated from Wales as a young man in 1905. Hermina was born to German-Hungarian parents in what is now Romania and immigrated to the US in 1899 when she was two. They ended up in the Detroit area and were married in 1915.
Jacob worked as a motion picture operator in theaters his entire life and died in 1953. Hermina was a stay-at-home mom and lived in the house until the early 1980s. She died in 1988. Their two sons eventually sold the house.
Hermina Edwards was a passionate oil painter. She used the upstairs bedroom as her studio. Her grandsons remember the smell of oil paints and turpentine... and the pull-chain commode in the bathroom across the hall.
An undated photo of Hermina standing in front of the kitchen sink, and the same spot in the home as it looks today.
An undated photo of Hermina standing in front of the foyer door, and the same spot in the home as it looks today.
An image of Hermina standing in the front upstairs bedroom, and the same spot in the home as it looks today.
Aside from the aluminum awning and altered landscaping, the house looks remarkably unchanged.
This 1920 photo, courtesy of the Clawson Historical Museum, shows what Clawson looked like just a few years before the Edwards' bungalow was built.
In 2023, the brick bungalow that houses Dee Dee's celebrates its centennial. This bronze historical plaque greets visitors as they enter the front porch.
This 1930s electrical inspection receipt was found in the basement of the home. It is framed and hangs in the foyer.
This midcentury ceramic rooster and hen pair, affectionately named Jacob and Hermina, sits atop a shelf in the kitchen keeping watch over the shop.
bottom of page